Our training classes cover a variety of horticultural topics. Missouri Botanical Garden staff, University of Missouri Extension faculty and qualified professionals in our community teach classes in the following topics.
Become a Master Gardener
The St. Louis area Master Gardener volunteer training program is the result of a partnership between University of Missouri Extension and the Missouri Botanical Garden. Those who complete the course become certified Master Gardeners after they complete 40 volunteer hours at sites associated with the Missouri Botanical Garden, other horticulture organizations, and the communities where they live. Trainees are supported by MBG staff while volunteering at Garden sites and by MU Extension while working elsewhere in the community. 10 hours of continuing education are also required to become a certified Master Gardener. These requirements must be renewed annualy to maintian active Master Gardener status.
- Plant Relationships, Anatomy, Growth & Development
- Soils, Composting & Mulching
- Native Plants
- Lawn Care
- Flower Gardening
- Woody Ornamentals
- Propagation Techniques
- Landscape & Garden Design
- Integrated Pest Management
A lot of studying will be required to pass the course. 10 hours outside of class per week is common. Students will need to have access to a computer to communicate with the instructors by email and take one test online each week. An additional test each week is taken in the classroom. Students are expected to attend all 18 sessions.
There will be two separate class options in 2018
- Thursday afternoon sessions from 1 to 4 p.m.
- Thursday evening sessions from 6 to 9 p.m.
Training classes will begin the first week of January and will continue through the second week of May. The cost for the course is $335.
Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis. Apply as close to the enrollment opening as possible.
- Registration for the afternoon session of the 2018 St. Louis Master Gardener Volunteer Training will open Thursday, October 12th, at 7:00 p.m.
- Registration for the evening session of the 2018 St. Louis Master Gardener Volunteer Training will open on Thursday, October 26th, at 7:00 p.m.
The following link will allow individuals to apply for the AFTERNOON session at 7:00 p.m. October 12th
A new link to apply for the EVENING session will be available on Thursday, October 26th.
Your application will only be considered for one of the sessions so please apply only for the session you would like to attend.